Thursday, September 3, 2009

Months too late to be relevant, but maybe in time for the video...


I liked The Watchmen. I read the book and the movie actually made sense.

Better ending than the book.

Here's the deal: I was speaking to a group in Charlottesville about books in general and the topic of books-into-moves came up.

A woman was flailing her arms about The Watchmen. She had taken her 12 year old grandchild and his little girlfriend (!) to see it. She had major issues with all of the male frontal nudity.

I didn't know what to say. I said, "It's blue...I don't think it counts". She was not amused.

Here's my question: in a movie where a pregnant woman gets shot, there's a higher body count than Vietnam, replays of the Kennedy assassination and monks burning, etc....why does this woman have a problem with a giant blue...well, you know what I'm talking about? And why were there 12 year olds in an R rated film in the first place?

There are a lot of things a bookseller doesn't anticipate addressing on a daily basis. I have to say, the giant blue schlong is one of them.

As I'm writing this, I have to be amused..but geez. Get over it. And what's wrong with Spiderman? Get a babysitter. Play Scrabble. Legos. There are options.

So I toast the creative parent (grandparent) for any activity that denies succombing to a kid's need to see the latest superhero movie...they are changing. Maybe read together or something.

Just a thought.

Meanwhile, if you haven't read The Watchmen...it's a great novel. Forget it's a graphic novel. It's just a great book. And see the movie...preferably without the tots.

1 comment:

  1. "It's blue...I don't think it counts"

    Oh my God. That's just too damn funny! haha Wish I could have seen the lady's face.

    And yes... Why would anyone take a kid to an R-Rated movie... EVEN IF IT IS A SUPERHERO FILM?! HEL-LOOOOO!

    ReplyDelete